COUNTY OF SEVIER
CITY OF RICHFIELD
At the Planning Commission
In and For Said City
August 7, 2013
1. Roll Call.
2. Approval of Minutes.
3. Conditional Use Permit: Big Bones Barbeque Restaurant, 545 S Main
(C1 use – CS zone).
4. Conditional Use Permit: Soda Run Drive-Thru Drinks, 55 East 1000 South (C2 use – CS zone).
5. Conditional Use Permit: Dean Hatch, soda drive-through business at 179 South Main (C2 use – D zone).
6. Other Business.
1. Roll Call. Roll call was answered by Steve Kunzler, Pat Hansen, Brion Terry, Eugene Beck, Monte Turner, David Mower, and Jeff Albrecht.
City Staff Present: Zoning Administrator Paul Hinrichs.
Also Present: Brandy Perry, Jerald Jessop, Emil Cluff, Dean Hatch.
2. Minutes Approval. The minutes of July 2, 2013, were reviewed. On page 4, lines 3 and 4 need to be changed to state the following: “It does not seem like it should be the responsibility of the developer. It should be a shared responsibility between the City, the developer, and the power company.” Pat Hansen motioned to approve the minutes of July 2, 2013, as amended. Brion Terry seconded the motion. The motion carried unanimously.
3. Big Bones Barbeque Restaurant Conditional Use Permit. Brandy Perry and Jerald Jessop represented Big Bones Barbeque Restaurant requesting a Conditional Use Permit allowing them to conduct business at 545 South Main Street. This will be a 45-seat restaurant. The existing building will be remodeled.
Concerning DRC comments, they are providing the required number of parking spaces including a handicap space. Those will be striped. Sidewalk will be installed from the north property line to the driveway at the south. Landscaping will be in the planter strip. They asked if it would be possible to get an extension of time for installation of the sidewalk. Approval for that would have to be obtained from the Council. After further discussion, they stated they will do the sidewalk now.
As far as signage is concerned, Paul Hinrichs advises there can be up to 100 square feet on each side of a double-face sign. Ms. Perry asked for their grand opening would they be allowed to use the triangle streamers and flags if they keep those off the sidewalk. Paul Hinrichs advises that streamers would be allowed, but flags prohibited. They can have writing on the windows and signs in the windows. They were advised there is a height limitation for pole signs.
David Mower recommends that approval be given for a Conditional Use Permit allowing Big Bones Barbeque Restaurant to conduct business at 545 South Main (C1 use – CS zone), with the following condition: The applicants are to apply for and receive a building permit, with their application accompanied by a drawing to scale showing where things will be located on the exterior, i.e.: parking spaces, ADA handicap ramp, handicap parking, sidewalk, and landscaping. The motion was seconded by Jeff Albrecht. The motion carried unanimously
4. Soda Run Drive-Thru Drinks Conditional Use Permit. Emil Cluff is applying for a Conditional Use Permit allowing the operation of a business called Soda Run at 55 East 1000 South. This is the former location of the Auto Finders car lot. They will be leasing the property. Originally they had planned to place a small building in the parking lot and set back 155 feet north of the entrance. However, they have since worked out a deal with the property owner and will lease the existing building.
There are two windows on the west side of the building which will be used as a drive-through. Cars will enter the property from one of the driveways on 1000 South and drive around the building. The first window will be an order window and the second window will be a pick-up window. They will then exit on 1000 South. It won’t be the type of business where many people will need to park. There is a lot of space for parking if needed. There will be some tables and umbrellas on the south side of the building. There will also be a walk-up window.
If for some reason this doesn’t work out in the existing building, he would like to be given approval for the smaller building to be brought onto the lot. If that happens, cars would still enter and exit in the same manner.
This has already been to the City Council to discuss the use of a portable building. He requested a waiver of the street improvements along 100 East. The Council waived those requirements because this business will not impact 100 East.
David Mower motioned to recommend that the City Council issue a Conditional Use Permit allowing Emil Cluff to operate a drive-through business called Soda Run at 55 East 1000 South (C2 use, CS zone). Eugene Beck seconded the motion. The motion carried.
5. Dean Hatch Conditional Use Permit. Dean Hatch is requesting a Conditional Use Permit allowing him to operate a soda drive-through business to be located at approximately 179 South Main. This will be a small building located in the parking lot of the Apple Tree Inn. Mr. Hatch said because of the earlier agenda item where Emil Cluff is locating a similar-type business on South Main, he may reconsider whether he is going to go forward with this business. He is not sure this town is large enough for both of them.
If he does go forward, he plans to put in a 12’x16’
building. The exact location of that
will be determined depending on where utilities are located. The plan is for traffic to come off of 200
South, driving north, and then exit out onto Main Street. He will have approximately six employees with
one or two employees working per shift. As far as restroom facilities, they will have an agreement with Apple
Tree Inn giving permission for the use of their restroom.
Chairman Kunzler would like is to see exactly where the building is going to be set and the distance from the corner of the street to the entrance. Mr. Hatch said they may want to move the building further to the east and then approach the building from Main Street and exit onto 200 South. Chairman Kunzler said he thinks the important thing is that the position of the building be back as far to the north as possible for stacking of cars.
Jeff Albrecht motioned to recommend that the City Council approve a Conditional Use Permit for a drive-through soda business to be located at 180 South Main, contingent upon receipt of a map showing the placement of the building. Monte Turner seconded the motion. The motion carried unanimously.
6. Other Business. Future Planning Commission meetings will begin at 6:00 p.m.
7. Adjournment. The meeting adjourned at 8:16 pm.
Passed and approved September 4, 2013.
/s/ MIchelle Curtis
Deputy City Recorder